What is FIX-R EPDM?
FIX-R EPDM is a 100% cured single-ply roofing membrane made of a synthetic rubber. The chemical name is Ethylene-Propylene-Diene Terpolymer or Ethylene Propylene Diene Monomer. FIX-R EPDM rubber membrane is an exceptional material because it:
- Repels all moisture, snow and rain
- Is flexible and bends easily with no stress, allowing it to follow the contours of the roof, upstands to walls, check curb edges, skylights, pipes, and terminations into gutters etc.
- Is able to stretch with up to 300% elongation, easily accommodating building movement
- Is not affected by extremes of temperature
- Will not tear, split or crack with age
- Is manufactured in large sheet sizes for excellent coverage with no seams
Is EPDM synthetic rubber roofing membrane a new idea?
No. The first synthetic rubber membranes were developed in America back in the 1960’s and they are still protecting flat roofs some 50 years later.
How long will a FIX-R EPDM roof last for?
The evidence available (real life exposure and laboratory tests) suggest that when correctly installed, a FIX-R EPDM roof will last in excess of 50 years. This longevity is down to the unique qualities of FIX-R EPDM: unmatched resistance to UV radiation, ozone, alkali rains and extremes of temperatures.
Does FIX-R EPDM Membrane require a protective top coat?
No, there is no requirement to protect the EPDM membrane with chippings or solar reflective paint because the membranes are completely UV stable.
How proven is FIX-R EPDM?
FIX-R EPDM is a very popular and well used product. In fact, over One billion square metres of EPDM have been installed across the globe in all types of climate, from the glaring sun of the Middle East to the Arctic conditions of Alaska. In this year alone over one hundred million square metres will be installed!
Will FIX-R EPDM membrane be suitable for my flat roofing project?
FIX-R EPDM is suitable for virtually all flat and low sloping roofs. It’s so versatile that you can use it on any size of job; from the renewal of an older roof to a garage through to thousands of square metres on new build projects.
I’m a roofing contractor. What are the benefits of FIX-R EPDM?
FIX-R EPDM should be your first choice solution because it is:
- A fast and easy system to install – No specialist tools are required for this system
- Proven to last for 50 years
- Applied with cold adhesives – no fire hazard risk, no insurance requirement
- Available in 3.05m up to 9.15m widths for fast coverage or order cut to a specific size
We have a flat roof on our house. Why should we install FIX-R EPDM?
FIX-R EPDM is a reliable and trusted solution:
- It is still protecting roofs laid over 50 years ago
- It’s suitable for any roof, small or large
- There is no fire risk because it is applied cold
- It’s maintenance free
- It does not degrade or become brittle with age
- No moss or algae growth
- No layer of chippings
- It can be overlaid with a variety of finishes such as paving slabs, timber or plastic decking and green roofs etc.
Can I walk on it?
Yes, it’s designed for maintenance access. If it has been laid in a heavy usage area such as a patio, it can be overlaid with a variety of finishes including paving slabs, timber or plastic decking and green roofs etc.
What does FIX-R EPDM look like?
It is only available in one colour and has a natural slate grey finish.
Is FIX-R EPDM environmentally friendly?
FIX-R EPDM is an inert material with limited environmental impact during manufacture and the use of the product. The conclusion of a report by ACTAC (the Association of Community Technical Aid Centres Ltd) named EPDM as the ‘best buy’ roofing membrane due to its low environmental impact in comparison to other membranes, high durability and re-usability. The findings of this report are available in the ‘Green Building Digest’ Issue 14. For further reference, the Greenpeace publication “Building the Future” names EPDM as the environmentally friendly choice for roofing membranes.
Is FIX-R EPDM expensive?
The installed and final price of your flat roof is likely to be similar to that of a quality felt roof. It is likely to be significantly lower than other single ply systems.
What surface materials are suitable for FIX-R EPDM application?
Compatible surfaces are wood, PIR and PUR insulation, concrete, masonry, aluminium, zinc and lead. FIX-R EPDM can overlay virtually any old roof as long as the roof decking itself is sound and the existing structure can carry the load of the new roofing system.
Can FIX-R EPDM be installed on a wet surface?
No, ponded water, snow, frost and ice must be removed from the roof surface before installation of the membrane.
Can I put a green roof system on my FIX-R EPDM roof?
Yes, FIX-R EPDM membrane is suitable for intensive or extensive green roof systems. You must install a root barrier with all green roof systems.
Is your question not listed?